Post Office and W & R Food Building


 Home Supply Company occupied this lot in 1907. By 1917, a two-story, wood-frame structure was located here, and by 1920, a splendid, brick Post Office was built and occupied the east half of this building. It remained for many years, until the new Post Office was built on F Street, one block north of the square, in 1961. This east section was later occupied by the Stag Pool Hall, and later, an in-home care service. In 1931, the west section of the building contained W & R (Wall & Rallings) Food Stores. Throughout the years, the front section has housed a variety of businesses, including Joe Dolan’s Food Market, BG’s Floral, and more recently, law offices. Old timers recall, during the annual 4th of July celebration, the chest-type freezers in Dolan’s Market had the coldest, hardest Popsicles in town. This brick structure has corner pilasters and a raised parapet false front. Two, one-lite, fixed-sash windows with impressive stained glass transoms flank the inset door on the north side of the building.