Roper's Building


The Rupert Hardware Store was one of the first major businesses in Rupert in 1905. In 1910, a desolating fire wiped out the entire north side of the Town Square. One year later, a brick structure, known as the Parker Brother’s Building, was built on this lot. Rupert Lumber and Hardware Company operated in the west part of the new building. Parker Dry Goods also occupied the building until 1914, when it sold to Roper-Tomlinson Dry Goods. Roper bought Tomlinson out soon after. Shortly after the fire, the Idaho Telephone Company moved upstairs. The second story was also used for doctor and dentist offices, as well as apartments. A frame bakery was built on the back around 1917, and a new cinder block structure replaced it by 1959, which also housed a dentist’s office. Roper’s owned the building until 1998, when it became a quilting store called The Gathering Place. Vertical brick keystone medallions are located between each window and compliment the medallions on the pilasters. On the west side, the south display window and clearstory have been covered. The outside stairs to the second story have been removed and the entrance filled with glass brick. The original west, rear storefront and clearstory have also been bricked in.